Thursday, September 25, 2008

Stars of Tomorrow



Hell is many things to many people.
Burning rivers of flames.
Brimstone and hellfire.
Not being able to drink anymore due to addiction....
and a new vision has been lain before my eyes, 
Open Mic night at the Waltz-Astoria.

Song is the owner and she let it be known before the "artists" graced the stage that she trained in classical piano for years, did the whole "conservatory thing," and just CHOSE not to be a performer.  She NEVER wanted to be a performer...but she respects it.  Song as you may have guessed by the name, is Asian.

A slew of acoustic, self-depricating, oppression laced tunes echoed the 2 HOUR open mic night as Aaron and I continued to get more and more wasted off the delicious $6 sangria.  Digging the fruit out of the bottom of the glass chopstick style was the most interesting part of my evening.  
They had a 16 year old boy/girl comedian who stole all his material from comedy central and ended his set with a rousing rendition of a barely audible "What I Got," by Sublime.  A duo that loved to harmonize but couldn't, a "sassy bastard" guitar player that was dull strull, and ended the evening with a nasally Jewel wannabe.  She sang "Foolish Games" and her own creation "County Road 99."  

I wanted to slit my wrists.
I didn't.
I have too much to live for.
Like next week's open mic night.

No comments: